Tears for Wedding Pearls: 1912

wedding pearls

WEDDING GUEST THREW BRIDE’S JEWELS IN FIRE

Miss Pearl Turner Had Placed Gems in Envelope for Safe Keeping.

Miss Pearl Alice Turner’s happiness in becoming the bride of William Daughtrey Drew yesterday was marred only by the loss of two of her most valued wedding presents, a beautiful crescent sunburst, the gift of the groom, and a brooch, presented to her by her parents.

After the wedding ceremony, Miss Turning placed the jewels in an envelope, which she placed on the table, intending to leave it there for only a moment. During the excitement attendant upon the wedding one of the guests [and rather an officious one!] picked up the envelope and, not being aware of its contents, threw it in the fire. The mistake was discovered a short time later, but when the jewels were rescued from the fire only the gold framework was left.

It was stated yesterday that an effort was to be made to replace the jewels if duplicates could be found. They were valued at about $250. Macon [GA] Telegraph 23 January 1912: p. 9 

Mrs Daffodil’s Aide-memoire: “Pearls mean tears,” was a common saying and some considered it unlucky for a bride to wear pearls on her wedding day, even one named for the gemstone. One wonders if this couple’s married life, with its inauspicious beginning, bore out that proverb? Pearls are also the birthstone for June. 

Please see a previous post on Queen Victoria’s costly pearl error.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Tears for Wedding Pearls: 1912

  1. cheyenek

    Oh my! I would have been so upset. (I do not like wasting anything, and I feel like pearls being burned to ashes would have been SUCH an expensive waste!)

    Like

    Reply
  2. Undine

    I remember that earlier post about Queen Victoria. Good grief, in the old days didn’t anyone bother to notice what it was they were throwing in a fireplace?

    If they had ammunition stored around the house, that could have gotten very interesting.

    Like

    Reply
    1. chriswoodyard Post author

      It does seem remarkably careless. Curious that you mention ammunition: there are a shocking number of stories about persons (well, let us be frank, men) who carelessly stored or decided to thaw DYNAMITE in their kitchen stoves. Whole families were wiped out as a result. The whole of the 19th century seems to be one long orgy of fatalities involving fire or explosives.

      Like

      Reply
  3. Pingback: The Healer of Pearls: 1902,1912 | Mrs Daffodil Digresses

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s